Thankyou to everyone who supported us in our advocacy for an additional 4 fully-funded netball courts - including the Boroondara Eagles Soccer Club! Thankyou especially to the Federal Government for recognising and supporting our needs with an election commitment of $1.2million to BNA for 4 additional courts & compliant lighting to enable us to grow and expand our pathway programs.
Unfortunately Council Officers packaged our proposal in a manner to ensure it was rejected, presenting court configurations / placements and inaccurate information to put residents and other tenant clubs offside. Councillors supported this process. Their ill-informed solutions to our need for growth included:
- Playing our competition on Saturdays AND Sundays
- Scheduling games outdoor at night during the week
- Splitting the competition between satellite venues (site unknown) expecting parents to transport their kids to & fro to umpire, coach, play at different venues in the one day.
Regardless, we will continue to provide a fun, safe and fullfilling environment for our netballers to play sport, develop life skills / leadership opportunities and above all enjoy the camaraderie which our netball Association facilitates!
Letter from Mayor, Garry Tompson, to Josh Frydenberg requesting that the funding be re-directed for lighting and "amenities" but not for additional courts. Clearly this defeats the whole purpose of the funding to support the growth and development of the Boroondara Netball Association. We sincerely hope that the Federal Government recognise the tactics being used by Boroondara Council in their efforts to take possession of our $1.2mill funding grant.
Public Council Meeting: We were extremely disappointed that Council failed to present the Acknowledgment to Country. Sally Sherwen rectified this in her presentation.
Following reports from 13 people, Felicity Sinfield presented a pre-prepared motion which Councillors had received but we had not. This was moved by Council (surprise, surprise!) so the whole evening was irrelevant
Council Officers release their report to Councillors - once again full of inaccuracies, skewed data & mis-representations - ultimately rejecting our needs. Interestingly the "proposal" they put forward on our behalf was manufactured by them and did not reflect our proposal.
Survey requested from Council: "We would like to hear from the BNA committee on the implementation and likely impacts of this funding on the users of the Myrtle and Macleay Park including BNA, other sporting clubs, users of open space and surrounding residents."
Article in the Sunday Herald Sun, June 6, by Susie O'Brien featuring our players from Canterbury, Koonung and Kew District Netball Clubs!
BEFC (Soccer club) present their Macleay Park "masterplan" to Council, including a synthetic surface on Oval 3, pavilion and 2 netball courts, subsequently revised to include 4 netball courts.
Information provided by Council to the community regarding our submission = community consultation survey
Much of the information presented in this document is mis-leading or false.
Mis-representation of facts.pdf - from BNA to Councillors
Final Data & Findings submission to Council, Feb 2020
- Netball in Boroondara
- History of BNA
- BNA Vision, Mission & Core Values
- BNA Strategic Direction & Alignment
- Needs Analysis
- Usage Table
- Benchmarking & Comparative Management Models
- GAP analysis
- Investments, Council Themes & Guiding Principles
Open letter from BNA to Council, Sept 1, 2020
Letter outlining our significant concerns relating to the lack of communication, process and transparency relating to this issue:
- Click LETTER to Council
- Click Timeline Summary 2015 - current
- See documents referred to below
- More detailed history below
Boroondara Sport & Recreation Strategy, April 2016: Click here
Myrtle and Macleay Park Management Plan, June 2018: Click here
Netball Victoria Statewide Facilities Strategy 2017: Click here
- an independent report commissioned by the State Government, identifying the City of Boroondara as lacking appropriate facilities to cater for netball participation & growth in the area stating the significant need for outdoor lit courts in Boroondara. The Eastern Metropolitan Zone Profile provides Boroondara data comparing neighbouring LGAs for reference
Sport Australia State of Play Report, April 2019: Click State of Play Report - Netball
- data providing accurate information on trends in netball participation & opportunities to maximise participation & engagement
History & Timelines of Advocacy:
Past History: 1988 - 2015 summary > click here
Recent History: 2015 - current > click here
Facilities: click here
- Current Facilities
- Demand, Needs & Gap Analysis
- Required Facilities
Community Impact: click here
- Local residents
- Other sports