Organisations providing services or facilities specifically for children in Victoria are required to meet Child Safe Standards. The Child Safe Standards applies to all sporting organisations that operate and provide sporting services to children within Victoria.
Click here for Victorian Government Child Safe Standards
In 2016, the Netball Victoria Board formally adopted the Child Safe Standards and produced the following documents which came into effect on 1/1/2017. Standards were reviewed in July 2022, focusing on "creating consistency with the National Guiding Principles, safety for First Nations children and young people, involvement of families & community in organisational decisions, management of the risks of child abuse online and offering greater clarity on the governance, systems and processes to keep children & young People safe."
- Child Safety in Netball Code of Conduct
- Child Safety in Netball Policy
Click here to view these documents
Boroondara Netball Association:
The Boroondara Netball Association also adopts the Victorian Government Child Safe Standards.
Working with Children Checks:
Click here for your legal requirements under the Working with Children Act 2005 regarding Working with Children Checks.
In summary the following personnel doing child-related work in a Sporting Club or Association require WWC checks by law. You need a check if you meet ALL of the 5 criteria below.
- You are an adult working with children under 18 years of age
- You are working as a volunteer / employee / self employed / on a committee
- You are working within a sporting club / association
- Your work involves direct contact with children ie) talk face-to-face or have physical contact, electronic or written contact
- Your contact is part of your work / club duties
- Your contact with children is not supervised by another person As at 1/8/2017 it is irrelevant whether you are supervised by another person or not.
- children under age 18
- student volunteers
- parents who volunteer as a "fill in" in activities their child normally participates in
- family member closely related to each child in the group
- police officers
Who in the Boroondara Netball Association requires a WWCC?
Note: only applies if you are over 18yrs of age
- Umpires and umpire trainers
- Coaches - VNL, Power, club, team
- Team Managers
- Committee members
- Kiosk / sausage sizzle workers including volunteers
- "Fill ins" for any of the above roles - unless the "fill in" is a parent of a child participating